Give Now Link

Current Size: 100%

Endowment at-a-glance


Howard University’s endowment is comprised of hundreds of individual endowed funds – funds created by donors committed to ensuring the long-term sustainability of the University. Endowment fund spending is typically restricted by the donor’s designation to specific programs, centers, departments, schools and colleges.

Principal endowment funds are invested in a diversified portfolio and managed by carefully selected outside money managers. Endowment income grows over time and provides a steady stream of income. The University’s revenue streams fluctuate from year-to-year due to changes in enrollment (tuition), donor gifts, and public (state and federal) support. Endowment income enables Howard to respond dynamically to shifting financial needs, while providing a superior education with a more affordable price tag than comparable institutions.

Howard’s endowment provides critical support for current programs and the promise of consistent resources into the future. Even in challenging financial times the endowment fortifies the University’s ability to support student financial aid, teaching, research, innovation, public service initiatives, and other campus activities.



Howard’s endowment includes 898 individual accounts established to fund scholarships, professorships, general operations and other purposes.

  • The investment portfolio delivered excellent results in 2017 buoyed by rising equity markets and positive asset allocation changes implemented during the year.
  • During fiscal year 2017, the market value of Howard’s endowment increased significantly by $69.4 million, or 12%, and finished with a market value of $647 million as of June 30, 2017. The endowment had a total addition of nearly $83 million in the fiscal year 2017, which includes $75 million in total investment returns and $5.3 million in donor contributions.
  • Approximately 45% of Howard’s endowment is governed by donor restrictions, while the remaining 55% is available for Board designation.

Division of Development & Alumni Relations
Howard University
1851 9th Street NW, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20001